47 401 (formerly D1500), the first of 512 Class 47s, entered traffic on 28/9/62 and was maintained by Eastern region depots throughout its working life, spending much of its time on express passenger duties on the East Coast Main Line and was appropriately named North Eastern on 16/12/81. 47 401's final years were spent on freight duties, the loco continuing in service for longer than expected due to problems with the new Class 60s.
Following withdrawal in 1992, 47 401 was sold to the 47 401 Project and was delivered to the Midland Railway Centre on 7/7/93.
In 1994 the Project purchased 47 417 to provide spares for 47 401 but is a possible restoration project in its own right in the longer term, subject to sufficient resources being available. 47 417 is cosmetically restored in two-tone green as D1516.
New supporters are always welcome and we are especially keen to hear from anyone who would like to help with the upkeep of 47 401.
We produce a quarterly magazine Forty Seven Forum containing the latest news on 47 401, other preserved 47s plus main line operations. A subscription to FSF costs £4 p.a. and is available from 47 401 Project, 21 The Oaklands, Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire, WR9 8AD. Please make cheques/POs payable to "47 401 Project". Also please send SAE for details of our Class 47 Data File books and colour photograph collection.
A1A Locomotives Ltd. is dedicated to Class 31 preservation, and its four loco's are all based at the MRC. 31 162 is fully operational and restored to near original condition. It carries BR blue livery and is currently on loan to the North Norfolk Railway. Its overhauled train-heating boiler, formerly carried by 31 225, became operative in early 1999, making 5580 the first 31 to "steam" in preservation. 31 108 in BR Railfreight Grey livery, has returned to Butterley. 31 271 was acquired as a valuable source of spares but has been rebuilt and carries Railfreight Construction livery and is now on loan to the NVR. 31 418 was donated in 2002 and is undergoing long term restoration and requires a replacement power unit. This locomotive was the first of its class allocated to BR London Midland Region and was, for many years, the only disc headcode class member equipped with electric train heating (ETH).
The company raises capital by selling £20 shares. Membership and further details from Steve Clark, Financial Director, 50 Thrunscoe Road, Cleethorpes, North East Lincs, DN35 8TA (please enclose SAE)
The society was formed early in 1981, with the aim of preserving an English Electric Type 1 (BR TOPS Cl.20) diesel-electric locomotive. The society has been successful in this aim and now owns three locos, 20 227 the last Cl.20 built, 20 205 and 20 001 (D8001).
Since being bought by the society, 20 001 has helped to build the Channel Tunnel and 20 227 has participated in several interesting assignments, These include providing the motive power for a rail crash test, operating track laying trains on the London Underground Metropolitan Line and taking part in the Steam on the Met events on LUL. The locomotive is currently in maroon livery. 20 227 also had the honour of being the first privately preserved diesel to operate a railtour on a UK public mainline.
20 001 and 20 227 have undergone overhauls and 20 227 is returning to work on LUL in a special Underground livery. 20 001 is currently undergoing body repairs and a repaint. 20205 is slowly undergoing restoration work.
Membership enquiries to Dave Beecham, 58 Strafford Gate, Potters Bar, Herts. EN6 1PN (please enclose SAE). Other enquiries may be emailed to email@example.com
The Class 40 Appeal was formed in 1985 with the aim to preserve an English Electric Type 4 (BR Tops Class 40) Diesel-Electric Locomotive. The group has been successful in this aim and now owns 40 012 (D212) Aureol.
During 1994 the group also purchased an English Electric Type 3 (BR Class 37) 37 190 Dalzell and another English Electric Type 4 but this time a Class 50, 50 007 Sir Edward Elgar, which represents a good cross selection of English Electric motive power.
D212 was built at Vulcan Foundary, Newton-Le-Willows, and entered service on B.R. allocated to Willesden, in May 1959. 37 190 was built at the Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn, Darlington Works and entered traffic in January 1964 numbered D6890. 50 007 was built at Vulcan Foundary and was originally hired to B.R., entering service in March 1968, numbered D407. The locomotive was eventually purchased by B.R. and on the 6th April 1978, was named Hercules, finally being renamed Sir Edward Elgar on 25th February 1984.
50 007 has been sold to Neil Boden and will be moving shortly to Washwood Heath.
For futher details and membership equiries please send a SAE to C.F.A., 65 Darby Road, Wednesbury, West Midlands, WS10 0PN. CFA home page
The Class 45/1 Preservation Society is the owner of 45133 which was purchased in January 1990. The loco arrived at the Midland Railway Butterley in May 1990, in working condition, from March depot where it had been since its withdrawal some 3 years earlier.
In the early days of preservation 45133 represented the MRB at various BR Open Days and has since gone on to perform solidly year after year. The loco has visited many other preserved railways and has covered thousands of passenger miles in preservation.
Although un-named in BR service, 45 133 was un-officially named Polythemus in May 1997, the name being part of the series of Greek names applied by Tinsley depot staff to the last Peaks in service in 1987. If 45133 had remained in traffic a few more weeks this could have been the name carried. The name was carried for a year before a full repaint saw the loco emerge in 1980's ex-works condition, a look it still retains today.
Membership is only £12 per year to help keep the sights and sounds of the Peaks alive. We welcome new members to our regular working parties and share ownership and membership details are available from Steve Gross, 'Stretton', Cross Street, Farcet, Peterborough, PE7 3DD.
Having arrived at the Midland Railway Centre in March 1997, this locomotive is privately preserved and forms part of the Midland Diesel Group fleet, currently non-operational. Work is in hand to return the locomotive to full working order.
D1048 Western Lady was designed at Swindon and built at Crewe in 1962 and is one of seven preserved, ex BR class 52 diesel hydraulic locomotives withdrawn from BR service on the Western Region over 20 years ago.
The society, owners of E27000 Electra, was formed in 1983 with the aim of repatriating a Netherlands Railways (NS) class 1500 locomotive. These locomotives had been built at Gorton, Manchester, in 1953/4 and after spending 15 years running between Sheffield and Manchester, the EM2's were sold to the NS in 1969 who overhauled them and put them into service in Holland until 1986. The Society arranged a farewell tour for the remaining loco's in that year and purchased and returned E27000 to Britain in the July. Owing to a lack of an electrified preserved railway in the UK she has remained a (fully operational) museum piece since then. In 1989 she returned (under our ownership) to Holland for the 150th anniversary of railways in that country. She performed 3100 faultless miles and then returned to Butterley for display. She remains in operational condition.
Membership of the society is open to all with an interest in railways (electric railways, particularly Woodhead, a speciality) and details can be obtained from 21 Harper Grove, Idle, Bradford, BD10 8NX.
The Peak Locomotive Company is a special interest group established in 1981 by a group of diesel locomotive enthusiasts who admired the British Railways Class 44, 45, & 46 locomotives. A locomotive collection was started with the purchase of Class 44, 44004 'Great Gable' in l981, Class 46, 46045 in l992 and Class 45, 45041 'Royal Tank Regiment' in l996, all kept at the Midland Railway Centre in Derbyshire, although 45041 is currently out stationed at the Great Central Railway, Loughborough. The Company has a comprehensive technical library, an archive collection of related material and a skilled volunteer group to keep the engines running. Share ownership or supporters club membership is open to all those who admired the Peaks. Write for information sheets to: Peak Loco, 30 Newstead Drive, Westbridgford, Nottingham NG2 6LG.
08 590 (Cl.08)
Built at Crewe in 1959 and delivered new to Danygraig (Swansea) depot. Subsequently allocated to many different depots on Western, London Midland and Eastern Regions. Bought by Eric Hackett in 1994 from Heaton (Newcastle) depot and delivered by road to the MRC in working order.
Predecessor of Class 08 shunter, built at Derby in 1950 and delivered new to Saltly depot, withdrawn in 1971 but survived in industrial use until rescued for the MRC by a group of members in 1978. Returned to traffic 13/1/79.
Built at Swindon Works and delivered new to Gloucester depot in 1960. Withdrawn in 1969, the loco then enjoyed a second career with the NCB at various collieries until preservation.
Built in Derby in 1967 and allocated to many different depots on the London Midland Region, including Toton. Purchased by Derby Industrial Museum following withdrawal and restored as a static exhibit but then put on loan to the MRC who restored it to working order. Generator repairs have been carried out and the locomotive regularly operates on passenger services.
Requires engine overhaul and repaint. Oil leak has been repaired.
Class 114 and Class 127
Return to Midland Diesel Group Home Page Top of page